Rants Corner
Follow
Sign Up for Our Newsletters

#TBH: My Boyfriend Took Me To Yaba Left

boyfriends-in-lagos-chatsandbanter

Welcome! You’re reading #TBH, a series of dilemmas ranging from love, sex, money and all things sticky sent for candid advice.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..

I’ve always thought finding the love of your life meant finding a best friend and someone who would stick with you through anything. When I started dating my boyfriend, he confirmed this, or at least he did everything that fell in line with all of that.

Our love has always been sweet, the cheesy kind that makes people annoyed when they see us in public. We would kiss each other passionately, laugh loudly and excitedly like there was no one looking, we are perfect for each other. I remember when we first met, we fought lol. He wanted to jump a queue at Ebeano and I took it upon myself to fight for everyone in line. It was funny, but he followed me to my car after, apologized and explained why he was in a rush. From there, he asked for my number and I gave him cause he was fine and my spec…the rest is history o.

But last year, everything started to change when he witnessed my mental health episodes. I’m schizophrenic and sometimes, the voices in my head make me have an outburst and result in self harm. The first time, I could tell he was terrified but I explained it to him and took him with me to see my psychologist and he said it was okay and felt reassured since I was getting professional help.

Everything seemed fine until one day, i had a terrible episode at his friend’s house who had invited us for a group dinner. After calming me down, he went silent. When we got home, he started shouting at me, calling me crazy and embarrassing. I begged him because I felt guilty. I know it’s not easy to date a schizophrenic person and I really love him.

We went back to normal until December last year when I had another one that was really bad. I was at home, i broke his perfume bottle and cut myself with pieces of the shattered glass because that’s what the voices in my head said i should do to shut them up. He found me there and cleaned me up, but I woke up in Yaba Left the next morning.

My family spent the holiday season getting me out of there and taking care of me. I’m telling this story because I still love my boyfriend. What if nobody else wants me, should I just let go of the first person who tried?

Do you have a similar dilemma to share? Send an email to tobehonestwithcnb@gmail.com to be featured on #TBH

Read More Stories

Total
0