Rants Corner
Follow
Sign Up for Our Newsletters

How To Manage Anxiety

One thing that clutters the human experience universally is anxiety. It shows up in our greatest moments, and creeps up in the intricacies of our daily lives. Why is this so…you might ask. Well, the answer seems to be as complex as whoever asks it.

In other words, anxiety comes in different ways to different people. For some of us, it’s there when you have to spark up a conversation or ask for something. And for others, it’s the gripping fear that surfaces at the slightest opportunity to go after a desire or dream.

So the right question to ask should be, “how do I manage anxiety?

Check out 6 ways to understand and  manage your anxiety…

1.  Monitor Your Thought Patterns

This involves getting to the root of your anxiety. Basically, it’s asking yourself questions like “why am I feeling this fear?” and “what am I constantly thinking about?”. Subsequently, you have to try and separate the facts from the feelings your anxious thoughts have produced.

2. Practice Breathing Deeply

As a more practical approach, taking deep breaths in the middle of a panic or anxiety attack is a self soothing tip. For example, try 4 counts taking some air in and breathing out for 4 counts for 5 minutes in total. All you have to do is focus on your breaths and their different transitions as it calms your body.

3. Journal Your Thoughts

Think of this as emptying your head or taking a load off of your anxiety. To clarify, this is a method of keeping track of your triggers and how they translate into your thoughts.

4. Practice Self Acceptance

Whether it’s a function of the present, your past or future experiences…learn to accept that there’s only so much you can control. This is hard to do, especially because the human mind is entirely set up to do the opposite. But it’s important to accept yourself for who you are in the moment, and also accept the notion that you can and will be better.

5. Be Kind To Yourself

At first glance, this seems difficult when you’re the type of person who is used to talking down on yourself. Although it’s almost always cliché when said, random acts of kindness as a form of self-care go a long way. Talk to yourself using positive affirmations, apologize when you do otherwise and give yourself some grace. You’re doing the best you can!

6. Talk to Somebody If You Have To

Anxiety is not a terrible thing to be looked at as a form of weakness. So if you need to express your feelings vocally to understand them, it’s always okay to seek professional help. And if you’re not ready for that, talking to somebody you trust and are comfortable with in your close circle is equally necessary.

Remember, you have the control…your anxiety doesn’t.

Image source: pinterest

Read More

Total
0